Thursday, February 11, 2010

Staying Organized

For many years, I worked as a Secretary. I learned to not only manage my bosses time, but mine also! I carried my time management skills to my home life. While my daughter still lived at home, it was very important for me to keep a schedule. She was always involved in 4-H, Girl Scouts, Dance, TKD, or something - so we had to keep track of things. At one time I had a calendar that was color coded! When my baby went to college, I thought I could give up the calendar, I figured my time was my own and I would get a lot accomplished. I realized that didn't work - I wandered around the house, trying to figure out what to do next and never got anything accomplished. So, I came up with a couple of schedules. One is a list of things to accomplish everyday in the house and the other is a time schedule that lets me know what I should be doing and when. The time schedule is very flexible. Life happens and sometimes I don't always get up when the schedule says, or I get the dog walked later, so I keep it flexible. Today is my "House Project" day, so I will spend the day painting the Master Bedroom. I look forward to it because all of the walls in the house were painted white before we bought it! I love color on my walls so I chose Cafe Au Lait. I used it in our last house and was very happy with it. My hope is that the new wall color will get me more motivated to figure out a design for that bedroom.

Here is my weekly schedule:
Monday - Vacuum, Mop, deep clean sink and counters in kitchen, 2 extras
Tuesday - Bathrooms, clean out fireplace, 2 extras
Wednesday - Dust, windows, 3 extras
Thursday - House project
Friday - Vacuum, 3 extras

My extras list consists of things like: baseboards, ceiling fan, cobwebs, etc.

I find that if I keep to this list, I can be done with house work by noon or 1a.m. and then get on to fun things like quilting, knitting, reading, etc. Hope this inspires you!

Pin It Now!

No comments: