Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fried Chicken

It is once again time for Mom's Crazy Cooking Challenge

Photobucket
This month, the challenge is for fried chicken.  This dinner was eaten on Independance Day!  I found it to be the "All American" meal. 

My recipe came from a mix of two sources.  The first, and the one I used most of my inspiration from, was from The Food Network magazine.  The recipe was in the July/August 2101 publication.   New York City check Marcus Samuelsson shared his recipe on page 147.

The second source was from Taste of Home magazine (Love them!) in the June/July 2012 issue.  The recipe was title Best Ever Fried Chicken and is located on page 29.

I first made a spice blend.  Some of the spices were added to buttermilk to be used as a marinade.  The chicken was marinated for 24 hours.

Chicken drumsticks in the buttermilk marinade
The next step was to add the rest of the spice blend to the flour.   I then took each chicken leg out of the buttermilk and dredged it in the flour and carefully placed the chicken in the grease.  I was able to fry about 4 drumsticks at a time.

Hot, Hot, Hot
 When I finished frying all of the drumsticks, I ended up with a wonderfully crunchy and tasty chicken.  I felt the coating was a bit browner than chicken from a fast food restaurant, but then again, my spice mix contained some pretty dark spices. 

 I would make this recipe again!   I think I will go out and purchase an electric skillet.  Being able to keep the grease at a steady temperature would help.  I did not burn anything, but did have to keep playing with the heat to keep from it.

Perfect and tasty drumsticks


Bread and Butter corn from the CSA

Pasta salad

Yummmmmm

Spice Blend

1/4 cup mild Chile powder
1/4 cup hot smoked paprika
2 TBL celery salt
2 TBL freshly ground white pepper
2 TBL ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
kosher salt to taste

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you consider using this recipe or taking bits of it to try the next time you fry chicken.  Can't wait to see what everyone else has made!


Pin It Now!

9 comments:

Lisa~~ said...

Your spice blend sounds wonderful with the cumin and smoked paprika, looks delicious.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry Copycat "KFC" Original Recipe Fried Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

Looks like a perfect summer meal!

DCG said...

The chicken looks wonderful! So does the macaroni salad.

#19

Jaime said...

The crust on your chicken looks amazing!!

Have a great weekend!

Jaime
#23

Shay said...

I love fried chicken and yours looks so delicious ...I want to make some right now !

Melissa said...

Your chicken looks unbelievably crispy--yummy! Great SRC pick!

I'm CCC #10 :)

Julie said...

Beautiful chicken! I never fry chicken. We're in a CSA too, tomorrow's our day. I always look forard to seeing what we will receive.

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

Love your fried chicken recipe! Mine is #54

Kristin said...

I love the spices you used for this!
#6