Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yesterday



Yesterday was a fantastic day!  The highlight was when The Baby arrived home!  I am so glad she is home.  I think it has been a couple months since I have seen her.  For us, that is a long time!  She will be here for a couple weeks and then off to West Virginia to work till the end of July.  We will have her home again for a week or so before she leaves to attend her Senior year in college.


This weeks CSA included some kohlrabi.  I must admit, I have never cooked it and not really sure if I have eaten it.  I found a wonderful recipe for Asian Kohlrabi Slaw over at Spicie Foodie.  I will let you know what the verdict is.  We also received:  spring onions, napa cabbage, sugar snap peas, turnips, 4 pounds of asparagus and I am not sure what the leafy green thing is in the front of the photo.  It has a very spicy taste to it.  I think we will try it in a salad.  If you know what it is, let me know.


The Baby turns 21 on the 23rd of May!  One of the gifts we will give her is this hot iron holder.  The holder is lined with heat resistant fabric, the kind your ironing board is covered with (if you go near one of those!)  I found the fabric at a quilt show over a year ago.  It is Japanese and I just loved it.  When The Baby saw the fabric, she also fell in love with it.  I am glad I found a purpose for it.  I found the pattern over at Sew 4 Home


The kitchen has become a hot spot in the house!  Since we joined the CSA, I have been challenged to try new foods and recipes.  I will not say I am ready to be a top chef, but I do enjoy putting a good meal on the table.  I have decided to join a few blog challenges.  One is over at Moms Crazy Cooking.  It is a once a month challenge that requires you to search blogland for a recipe, try it and blog about it.  This month is all about smoothies.  I made this one with some leftover fruit we had.  I added some of the homemade yogurt to it.  It was yummy.


Finally, I wanted to show a photo of our guest room.  Since my Mother will be visiting for The Baby's birthday, I thought I would hang a few things on the wall! 


Hope you all have a wonderful day.  Mine will be filled with cooking and lots of hugs and kisses from my wonderful daughter!



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Shay said...

I have no idea what the green thing is...I’ve seen it before but cant help you. But all those vegies look great laid out like that (I cant believe I just said that !)

LOVE the fabric ...very pretty.

I bet you’re thrilled to have time to spend with The Baby. I cant believe she’s going to be a senior already! (We both had babies in the same year – I never realised that before)

Your guest room is gorgeous.

Paulette said...

The green thing in front looks like kale. It's good sliced thinly and added to a soup (doesn't take a lot of time to cook, so add toward the end). Many other ways to eat it, but usually cooked, I think.

The kohlrabi--we eat it raw. Peel it with a carrot peeler and slice it up. It's got a very crisp, mild flavor. You can dip it in things if you like, but we eat it straight up raw. Yum. You can cook with it too. It's on the order of turnips.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Cynthia, when you left a comment on my blog (thank you so much for that) I looked at all your wonderful blogs and did not really know where I could or should leave a comment, so I will do it here.

I enjoy reading your blog(s)and the variety of topics that you cover. It is nice that you have decided to join the Tuesdays with Dorie group - welcome! I will make sure to follow your posts in the future!

Take care enjoy the rest of the weekend with your family!

P.S.: Your guest bedroom looks so comfy!