Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just call me Cynthia O'Hara

Big is on vacation this week.  It is one of the reasons I have not been blogging.  The other is that sinus problems got the best of me and at times I felt I could not see straight!

We decided to visit a couple of Civil War areas today.  The first was Fredericksburg National Cemetery.  It was really interesting.   We first walked the Sunken Road Trail.  We learned about some of the innocent families who lived there when all hell broke out.

Innis House - you can see bullet holes in the side of the house.  Big is peering in and looking at more bullet holes


This is a part of the original Sunken Road wall.  Can you see the bullet hole?

Fredericksburg National Cemetery - the flat head stones are unknown soldiers.  The rounded head stones are known soldiers.

We learned that the top number on an unidentified marker is the plot number and the bottom number represents how many bodies are in the grave.

Then we went to Chatham Manor.  This was my favorite.  The house was built in 1771 and began on a 1228 acre lot.  During the war, President Abraham Lincoln visited.  Clara Barton and Walt Whitman were also there.  A long list of Union Generals were there also.


A wonderful bench in the corner of the gardens.

I could just imagine myself with large hoop skirts.  Having Rhett Butler profess his love (well, perhaps not that, but you get my drift)  The property was lovely, the gardens, (although in need of a good weeding) were lovely and the day was wonderful.

On another note, I have decided to join Baking with Julia.  I will be baking two times a month using recipes from the book, Baking with Julia.  I am really looking forward to it! 

I have had so much fun cooking with the vegetables that we are given from the CSA.  I am pushing myself to try new things with produce.  Now I will push to try new things with baking.  I hope you will follow me and perhaps sign up and join me!


Cynthia L.Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Cameron said...

War is such a sad thing....but historically, so interesting to learn how these formed the US we love today.

Old buildings really are so cool...and I've always loved old cemetaries. My favorite was actually called Sleepy Hollow. I got to see where Henry David Thoreau was buried.

Marg said...

That sounds like a very interesting and thought provoking place to visit,
I'm popping over to have a look at Baking With Julie, not sure whether I will join in as I never bake these days.

Shay said...

I'm fascinated by the history surrounding the Civil War so it was great to see a bit if it close up. In fact I googled some more history about this house. So interesting.

Sounds like you're making the most of the vacation time.

Im passing on the baking. I dont want to be the class dunce !

Shevvy said...

Love the bench.
I always fancied the hooped skirts as well when I was young until I realised

a) - In those days I'd be the maid scrubbing in the kitchen in old rags

b) - they must have been the most uncomfortable and impractical things ever. Can you imagine having digestive problems wearing one of those things!